Safety Pools Recommendations
Stay Close, Be Alert and Watch
Learn and Practice Water Safety Skills
· Always watch your children and never leave them unattended.
· Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings
· Have a phone close by at all times.
· If a child is missing, check the pool first.
· Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors.
· Teach children to swim, float and other basic life-saving skills; do not consider young children “drown-
proof” because they have had swimming lessons.
· Learn to swim; it’s fun and good exercise.
· Know how to perform CPR on children and adults.
· Understand the basics of life saving so that you can assist in a pool emergency.
Have the Appropriate Equipment
· Install a fence around the perimeter of the pool and spa of at least four feet in height.
· Use self-closing and self-latching gates.
· Make sure the pools and spas you use have compliant drain covers.
· Install a door alarm from the house to the pool area
· Maintain pool and spa covers in working order.
· Have life-saving equipment such as life rings or reaching poles available for use.
· Empty and put away smaller portable pools after every use
· Cover larger portable pools and put access ladders away when adults are not present.
· Make sure your neighbors, babysitters and visitors know about the pool’s presence in your yard.